Sunday, July 20, 2008

In answer to your questions:
I am fully aware that Romeo and Juliet is a work of fiction, Juliet's house is really just one of those tourist traps. There is no authenticity in it at all. And yet thousands of people probably flock to it each year to see the balcony, to caress Juliet's right breast for good luck, and to add more graffiti to the walls. I will admit, the balcony and courtyard you stand in to look up to it is nothing special at all, just kinda blah. But the graffiti was really cool. I still fail to understand why so many people were interested in seeing it, even Dani. I mean, its kinda neat to see, but not that really... I could have skipped it and been all the happier. (sorry Dani, buts its true)

And Aida was the most amazing thing ever. I did enjoy it much more than I enjoyed the Rihanna concert too! It was just really cool to see an opera in such an old arena. The arena dates back from the 1st century, and is one of the most well preserved in the world. The outer wall practically destroyed in the 12th century, but the rest is well intact. The acoustics were amazing- you could hear the sound of their shoes squeak when they turned around- so you can only imagine how beautiful the operatic voices were! And all without any amplification. The theater holds 20,000, and was almost full! The story itself was both beautiful and heartbreaking and moving all at once. Sadly we had to leave during the intermission or we would miss our last bus home, and being stranded was something we didn't want to risk! So I will be looking Aida up when I come home and have every intention of seeing in in Edmonton if at all possible.

I've got on to finish this blog three times now and never seem to get around to being able to say what I want to about Venice before I have to get off. Its hard for me to express what I want to about this enchanting city in words. Nothing I seem to write seems to be good enough. But I love Venice, I really wish that we had more time here because its such an amazing place. So rather than describe what I've seen and everything that I love about it all, I'm just going to have to do with saying a few things about my favourite moments here. But know that if I could bring each and every one of you a little peice back I would! And as I type this there is a line behind me of about 4 people waiting to use the one computer we have at our hostel in Cinque Terre, so forgive me if I seem rushed because I am!!

My favourite moment in Venice took place in St. Mark's basilica. The basilica itself is breathtaking- when you walk in and gaze up you see the shimmering gold mosaics laid there hundreds of years ago and all the ornately carved statues and releifs. Its not hard to beleive that all the ornamentation was supposed to be representative of heaven! We waited in line for about 20 humid mins and then walked through the basilica, ending up at the altar they keep all the candles for lighting and just sitting and watching and feeling and taking it all in. It touched me to watch all those who were coming up to light candles for their deceased loved ones. Even Danijela lit one. No matter what these people thought or did with the rest of their lives, or what they would do when they walked out of the basilica, at that moment as they went about the sacred act of lighting a candle their hearts were turned to God and the divine. Even though my religious observances are very different, I couldn't help but feel the desire to light my own candle. The entire area just emitted a reverence that I could only observe, but not take part in.

Another thing I loved abot Venice were the little tiny reminders that people actually lived in that amazing city. Someone mowing the lawn in their garden, laundry hanging out the windows, a woman carrying her groceries over a bridge, people's boats rather than cars docked beside their houses. It shocked me. I don't know why- obviously people actually live in Venice. But still, I was surprised that Venetians do the same tedious things that you and I do every day of our lives, the only difference is that they do it in Venice, a city of water!

All in all, Venice may be my favourite. I think I loved it even more that Milan. I wanted so badly to stay longer, but I will just have to go back. And to anyone thinking of going to either Venice or Paris: I found Venice to be a much more romantic city than Paris, in many ways. If you want the list I can give it to you.

PS: We have avoided getting lost so completely as we did in Verona and Paris. I can't read a map to save my life and have absolutely no sense of direction, and Danijela's eyesight is failing so she has to squint to see road signs, and easily gets frusterated. We make quite the pair trying to find our way around!!

Pictures to be posted soon I hope...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Asha
Living the Dream is an adventure of a lifetime. I love your blog. And you write so well. Makes a body feel like they are there with you. Got your postcard from Paris today. Can't wait to show it to the team. We are on a two week shutdown right now. We will be back at work on August 6th. Everyone said to Hi if I ever got the chance. So "HI" from all of us.

Take care
Sandra

Unknown said...

Hi Asha... I am totally lovin' this blog of yours. McKenna and I were just talking about Venice, and hoping you were going to visit the city of water. I think that Venice would be my second choice (only behind Rome) to visit in Italy. So kudo's for being there. I'm really looking forward to some pic's! Be safe and have fun

Uncle Randy!