Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Right now we are in Cinque Terre, which is a group of five little villages on the west coast of Italy set against a backdrop of cultivated hills and mountains, whith walking paths and train tracks connecting each one.
We caught a bus up here along some windy hair-pin roads up to the top of a small mountain, where our hostel has the most amazing view. Today we did a bit of walking, we found out after that the two trails we happened to choose to walk were the easiest one, and then the very hardest! It was no worse than any other hike I've done in Girl's Camp or with my family, but it was so HOT!! We went up and down some crazy, rocky, and perilous stairs, along narrow paths that dropped straight down, and over some bridges. The easy one took 20 mins, and the hard one an hour and 20 mins. By the end of the day we were hot, tired, dirty, and sweaty. The view was amazing though. This has to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Its breathtaking to look out at all the steep hills with grapes planted on them in little steps going up and down, and colourful villages either at the top or at the bottom, right against the ocean that happens to be a very deep teal blue. I had no idea this kind of beauty even existed!
The nicest part is being able to take a break from the city!! And meet some of the cool people who are staying in our hostel!
Well thats all I have for now... this is a short one.
I appreciate all the comments you write, its nice to know that when I write these people actually read them, and hopefully somewhat enjoy them!! Hope you all are doing well too.
We are off to dinner at a pizzaria down the road, and my stomach is grumbling after all that walking we did today!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Asha - I am now officially addicted to your blog!
Since the pictures will not be available for a while I went online and found some beautiful pictures of Cinque Terre. it looks like something out of a book. uhhh, maybe it is.
Anyway, if anyone wants to see pics, I posted five pictures (one of each of the villages) on my facebook album titled "Italy"
Love ya...

Kelpish said...

Find a beautiful tree embeded in something and fall in love with it.

This is my bizarre Kelpy-request of the day. It could be alot worse. But, I love trees and I'm pretty sure they're the esiest plant to fall in love with.

jack smedley said...

haha! an hour and a half and your all done. I laugh because I just did mt temple(which i would gladly trade for a scenic vew of cinque terre).
Drink it all in, ash! that place looks like it's from (lol) kikis delivery service kinda. and a pizzeria! what i would give... keep updating btw, alot of people are looking forward to these blogs, even if they don't comment. Saying I'm jealous is so incredibly useless at this point, just enjoy all the sensations and realizations as much as you can...or whatever.

\ His Eminance Peter Mower